Monday, August 01, 2005

On my way to Mumbai

29th July '05

My friend Suds, gave me a GW notebook and pen. Kinda cool...
I started writing/sketching in it...on my flight from NY to Paris to Mumbai

It feels good to pen thoughts...and re-read them back to yourself.

I like the sound of my thoughts..."Narcissa" or getting there!

Excerpts from my scribbles

My first entry in the book was a sketch, badly drawn, but hell, it was a visual imprinted on my mind while peering out of my cramped window seat on the Charlotte to NY leg. It is an aerial view of NY, taken while waiting for landing clearance at JFK. I compared my sketch to the Google satellite map, and well, I was looking at the Fort Wadsworth area which ran through the middle of the New York Bay and created an Upper NY and Lower NY Bay Area.


Google has the most awesome satellite pictures...

Woman at Security Check In at JFK: Very nice!
Seeing that I was having a hard time saying BYE to Avi and Prach (I walked in and out of the security check-in queue 3 times), this nice lady said, " Don't worry, I'll let you know, when you absolutely HAVE to go in. Talk to your friends till its time."

Me (all gushy): You will???, thanks that's awesome!

Thank you, 'nice lady'!

29th July'05 (Airborne between NY and Paris)

Misty eyed after reading Sud's letter. Immediately thought of our common mantra 'b**** to the world' and new 'happy me' and dismissed angst.

30th July '05 (Towards Paris)

The sky (somewhere on European territory): Whipped cream over blue granita.

30th July'05 (5 mins before landing at DeGaulle)

Neat, symmetric, triangular,trapezoidal and several unnamed bounded spaces created by straight lines. French meadows huh? Undulating...

Smooth touchdown in French territory...(9:21 am Local time, 3:30 am EST, 1:00 pm IST)

Taxiing....

Number of times re-read all received cards and letters : 3 times.

Misty-eyed: equal number of times.

Still Taxiing...

Acutely aware of pain in back and lower back.

Long awaited "Welcome to Paris message " in French and in English.

Finally got off the freaking plane (a good 30 minutes after touchdown).

De Gaulle, Paris ( 11:00 am Local)

My Nextel phone miraculously rings.. displaying Avi's number. Talk to him until battery dies. Happy Girl. (For the joy of communicating in English...)

Pick up a KENZO parfum for MA. Scent is "Rice Steam"- I have a thing for weird scents. Dismissed Ginger as ORDINARY and Bamboo (spinach smelling) and White Lotus (stale flower smelling) as over the top.

Ran into French family from NY-Paris leg. The kids still vying for 'Papa's attention'. (Screamathon- 9 hours straight). The Papa in question was my travel companion (in the aisle seat) who spoke only one English word- Good Morning (ok two!).

Sitting right across from an ABCD family on its way to a Bandra wedding. Hear snatches of choli, zardozi and ghaghra type conversation. Also hear a forceful piece on conservative dressing in India from Mom to 3 daughters. Daughters SIGH.

Sleepy...Tired....Switch off.

1 comment:

Suds said...

Hey Chintukle!
Nice piece of work!
Umm, did you get the numbers of the ABCD gals ;) ?