Friday, December 05, 2008

Post 26/11...

There has been a lot of cynicism in the last couple of weeks following the terror strikes. And justified too!
Though I'm not jumping with joy yet, there maybe light at the end of the tunnel. The powers that be are rolling some wheels into motion:
At Chennai station:
  • There are a sizable number of gun wielding Railway Police glaring down at you; mind you not chatting away!
  • All departures have their baggage screened at the Chennai Central entrance and a 'security cleared' tag affixed on it.
  • There are metal detector passages for the peoples and male and female guards who run their hand held detectors down your person
  • No hanging around. I was brusquely told off for waiting for A, post my security check.
  • Dogs were sniffing around trains and no there was no delay in departure, on that account.

I did feel a little secure but I'm not gloating yet.

I want to know, that this will be a permanent fixture and not just a ' in the wake of terror' or ' around the Babri Masjid anniversary' thing.

I want to know that this will happen at every railway station.

I want to know that the train doors will be secured by some hydraulic power each time it halts at signals in between stations.

I want the citizen to be able to propose a reforms bill to make all this happen. If it takes more money than the government has, I will not flinch or complain about more tax levied.

The anger at being violated as a nation will not simmer down into nonchalance as we settle into our lives with a , ' I know what happened was wrong, but MY life goes on.' Probably not this time.

PS: One can still walk through Bangalore City Station, with or without a ticket, with or without a weapon. There is a detector passage, and a gun wielding cop, but neither did he bother to ask for your ticket or even look at you. The TTE, was standing by, he too seemed least interested. What will it take, to shake up Bangalore?

No comments: