Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Cricket Premier League.

The IPL has changed my life as it was - and not in a nice way.
The surfing spouse, is a changed man. Am I glad for twenty over games ? I am not sure , anymore.
Evenings are occupied by the IPL games and mornings by re-runs. And yes, the quality time in between, is spent in avidly following on-field/off-field cricketing shenanigans and silly post- match, pre-match commentaries and cheerleading morality.
Any movement - real or imagined, towards the remote , is swiftly quelled by yelling, whooping, mild threats and angry gesticulation.
A physical barrier of human limbs and entire humans sprawled across the expanse between the couch and the TV seeks to thwart potential trespassers.
Don't get me wrong here. I used like cricket, a good deal, in the one day fifty over games; my affinity being driven by a strong sense of nationalistic pride. You see the problem now? I dont care enough for any of the states / regions to firmly support one. To add to the disarray, my tiny brain finds it hard to process that MS Dhoni from Jharkhand plays for Chennai, Harbhajan for Mumbai and Sreesanth for Punjab (I could be wrong about one or more here). The Southerners don't play for the South and vice versa. Yeah,yeah! IPL goes beyond boundaries and all that - Bah.
And what's with the uniform -I mean, Hello, how does one correlate . There are no GLARING visual identifiers - as they'd assert in marketing, I am the consumer, they lost to the brand association/identity lacuna.
I, in all earnestness, have tried to the follow the damn league games. I pride myself on being a thorough 'start at the grassroots' kinda girl and I find myself stumbling right there at
Stage 1: Identify the team. :-(
The spouse draws huge laughs from this Q & A session , we have
He: So honey, who is playing- DON'T LOOK AT THE TICKER!
Me: Uh....uh... there's Yuvraj, must be Delhi Daredevils!
He: Sweetie ( feigned patience) we went over this ten minutes back.
Me: Ok Ok! There's Parthiv Patel cute boy, so I'm sure Baroda's playing.
He: BARODA's not even an IPL team, OK.
Me: Ha... I know Chennai is playing - (Source: visual association- yellow {color of summer= only season in Chennai}= Chennai uniform)
Yaay ( whooping) , I was right!

I am actually beginning to enjoy IPL myself, especially during the endless Vodafone 'Happy to Help' cute pug commercials and the Pepsi -MS Dhoni- Rajinikant commercials.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh that form the daughter of cricket follower mom..sounds wierd...hope u enjoying preity zinta yelling and hopping.

Kavitha (Machiah) Cariappa said...

I think IPL is highly overrated! I hate criket. It's just not a sport. You'll see more about it on my blog. Needless to say, I pity the people who sit glued to a television set, rivetted to the spot like they have no brain power left. If you have to be in awe - at least let it be for a real sport - one where it's action packed and requires real talent - not just a pretty face :-)